The Paladin Crusade

The Paladin Crusade follows the adventures of Jovani Hammerlund, a character in the videogame Oblivion. Jovani is a self proclaimed Paladin, a holy warrior, in service of the god Arkay. His mission is to bring light where there is darkness in hopes of extinguishing the undead minions that now roam free in Tamriel. His adventures begin here.

Monday, August 07, 2006

Entry 10: Heartfire 3, 3E433

After leaving the Aleswell Inn, I traveled south along the Red Ring Road with the Imperial City white tower in the distance. I stopped at Fort Empire along the way, hoping to find vampires inside, but alas there were none. After clearing the fort of various creatures, I returned to the Imperial City and stabled my horse.

As I changed into less conspicuous attire, I realized that a mere eight days have passed since I had gained my freedom. And now I was back to do service for the very Empire that had imprisoned me for more than two years. Clearing my head of such negative thoughts, I traveled through the Imperial City to the Elven Gardens district.

There, I entered Luthor Broad’s Boarding House and found Baurus inside at the bar. I discreetly sat beside him and ordered a drink. Baurus seemed on edge and he asked me to follow a man who was reading in the corner behind us. As a fellow Blade, I agreed.

Shortly after Baurus got up to enter the basement, the man in the corner got up to follow him. I slipped out of my stool and followed after him. Baurus’ suspicion proved to be correct, for in the basement the man revealed himself to be an assassin, identical to those who killed Uriel Septim. Baurus and I quickly ended the assassin’s life. Baurus went on to explain that the assassins were part of a daedric worshipping cult known as, The Mythic Dawn.

I brought Baurus up to speed on what has happened thus far, including finding Martin and losing the Amulet of Kings to the very cult that was behind everything that has transpired. After searching the assassin, we found a strange book in his possessions. Baurus asked me to take the book to the Arcane University to a mage scholar who studied daedra and I agreed.

On my way to the Arcane University, I stopped by the Imperial Arena and watched a match. Bloodthirsty fans cheered on two gladiators as they fought for their very lives. I was offered a chance to fight as a gladiator myself, but even though it paid good money, I declined for taking another life for gold was despicable.

Leaving the arena behind, I immediately went to the Arcane University. From speaking with the Argonian scholar, Tar-Meena, I learned that the Mythic Dawn Commentaries had four volumes. She went on to explain that the four volumes together were believed to reveal the secret shrine of Mehrunes Dagon, which in turn would provide the location of the base for the Mythic Dawn. The problem was that the last two volumes were very rare.

Thankfully, Tar-Meena provided me with volume two and she suggested that I try to find the remaining two volumes at First Edition in the Imperial City Market District. After thanking Tar-Meena for her help, I made haste for the store.

Phintias, the proprietor of First Edition, informed me that a Wood Elf had already prepaid for his only copy of volume three, so I was out of luck. As I was about to leave, a Wood Elf in red robes entered and requested his copy of the very book that I was seeking to get. I followed him outside and persuaded him to part ways with the rare book.

Gwinas, the Wood Elf, was reluctant to just give me his book, but after I explained that the Mythic Dawn was behind the assassination, he was shocked. Gwinas told me that he had intended on joining the cult, but now he was thankful for my intervention. The little Wood Elf even told me how to acquire the fourth volume.

Apparently, Gwinas was supposed to meet an agent of the Mythic Dawn in the sewers and would then be given the fourth volume of the commentaries. After parting ways with Gwinas, I retuned to Baurus and explained everything. We are now planning to attend this meeting in place of Gwinas later tonight. But now…now I must rest.