The Paladin Crusade

The Paladin Crusade follows the adventures of Jovani Hammerlund, a character in the videogame Oblivion. Jovani is a self proclaimed Paladin, a holy warrior, in service of the god Arkay. His mission is to bring light where there is darkness in hopes of extinguishing the undead minions that now roam free in Tamriel. His adventures begin here.

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Entry 5: Last Seed 30, 3E433

My hands are trembling with exhaustion as I write this entry from inside of the Chapel of Akatosh at Kvatch, or what is left of it anyway. I have been awake for over twenty-four hours now and I must rest. But before I do, I must record the events that have transpired over the longest day of my life.

I awoke yesterday around 6:00 AM and watched the sunrise. As the sun climbed above the distant mountaintops, I prayed to Akatosh thanking him for this glorious day. After breakfast, I continued west along the Gold Road towards Kvatch. As I turned north on the only road leading up to Kvatch, a High Elf ran past me, screaming. He quickly turned around and I stopped to talk to him. His name was Hirtel and he began talking so fast that it was hard to comprehend what he was saying. He urged me to turn and run with him, but I ignored him.

Onward I traveled until I came across an encampment of civilians right in the middle of the road. Their faces were glum, their clothes darkened with soot, and I no longer the sparkles in their eyes that I saw several years ago during my last visit. After dismounting my horse, I spoke with everyone, listening to their stories of how they survived the night. Their tales sounded too far-fetched to believe, but I would be a believer soon enough. Further up the road, I found a distraught monk who had lost all faith in the gods. I asked him about Martin, but he was not certain if he made it out alive.

As I proceeded up the winding road, a rolling thunder reverberated through the air. And then, all of a sudden, the sky began turning red as blood. By the Nines, what was happening? I hastened my pace, drawing my blade as I ran. The closer that I came to reaching the summit of the plateau that Kvatch was built upon, I noticed that the trees had all been scorched with fire. I doubled my efforts and began sprinting up the winding road.

Something awful had happened here and I cursed myself for having rested last night instead of traveling all the way to Kvatch. Overcome with grief, I knew that had I arrived at Kvatch in time, I might very well have died. But then again, I may not have and Kvatch just might have been saved.

At last, I reached the summit and my eye immediately fell upon a large flaming red portal that stood before the gate of Kvatch. Screams awoke me from my fixed gaze and I realized that I was standing still. Suddenly, battle cries reached my ears and I saw that soldiers were engaged in a battle with demons coming out of the cursed portal. I ran forward to join the battle, but by the time I reached it, the soldiers had put down the demonic daedra.

Savlian Matius, the captain of the guard, quickly explained what had happened. He informed me that Martin might yet still be alive for survivors had barricaded themselves inside of the Chapel of Akatosh. I wanted to run past the portal and find Martin, but I knew that the gods wanted me to help the soldiers. So, I volunteered my services and Savlian Matius, although doubtful, ordered me to go into the portal and help his men find a way to close it.

Slowly, I walked up to the gate, said a prayer and entered.

Immense heat greeted me as I reappeared in the demonic plane of Oblivion. The plane of Oblivion was as dreadful as the evil that I have been fighting. Vast oceans of bubbling lava surrounded the hardened lava rock island that I now stood upon. Plumes of ash and smoke rose into the air in the distance and I had to ask myself if I was taking my crusade a little too far.

Looking over my shoulder, I could see Savlian Matius and his men continuing to hold the line. I began to walk forward, but nearly tripped over a charred corpse. This was apparently one of the Kvatch soldiers. Wiping the sweat from my brow, I drew my blade and ran forth to join a soldier I saw ahead of me.

Hend Venius informed me that the others had been taken captive and were likely being held in one of the many towers that loomed in the red sky before us. We formulated a plan and began searching for the other soldiers. Together we fought and killed daedric scamps, clearing our way to a tower. A mine surprised us and exploded, knocking us backwards. I rose to my feet, but Hend Venius did not. He was dead.

After saying a brief prayer over his body, I took up his sword and shield, and entered the tower. I climbed up the spiraling ramp, killed another scamp, and activated a switch. A great rumble came from outside and I exited the tower to find a pair of large black gates had opened. In between them, I found the remaining Kvatch soldiers. All of them were dead.

Leaving the fallen soldiers behind, I entered the great tower. Inside, I navigated through dark confining halls, avoiding traps, and killing Dremora as I searched for any other survivors. I finally found one in an adjoining tower. Menien Goneld was trapped inside of a cage and I could not find a way to release him. He urged me to leave him behind and close the gate. I did not want to leave this man behind, but I had to for the good of others.

And so I pressed on and after nearly six hours, I finally reached the top of the great tower. Atop of a pillar of fire, a strange round stone rested. I reached out, careful not to get burned, and removed it. A deafening roar forced me to cover my ears and I fell to my knees, clutching the stone against my armor. Suddenly, a bright white light enveloped me and I closed my eyes, thinking that I was about to die. Abruptly, the air shifted and I opened my eyes and saw that I was back at the base of the portal outside of Kvatch. As I turned and looked behind me, the Oblivion portal vanished.

I approached Savlian Matius and explained what had happened. He voiced his appreciation and asked me to help him lead a counter attack in an attempt to retake what was left of the city. My body was weary and I knew that I should have rested, but I agreed nonetheless. Together, we charged the city gates with the other soldiers following us. Inside, Daedra swarmed us, abandoning their attempts to break down the chapel doors.

We fought them off and entered the Chapel of Akatosh. Inside, a few soldiers and about eight frightened civilians welcomed us. Frantically, I scanned their faces looking for Brother Martin. I had no idea what he looked like, but I was certain that I could identify a priest. And just then, I did. My eyes rested on a man wearing the robes of a priest. Slowly I approached him and removed my helmet. I asked if he was Brother Martin and he confirmed that he was. Thank the Nines that he was safe. I explained to him the events that were now in motion and how we were both involved. Although Martin was skeptical, he agreed to accompany me back to Weynon Priory.

Savlian Matius was readying a plan to storm the castle, but he knew that I was in dire need of rest. So here I am now in the Chapel of Akatosh with yet another dilemma. After witnessing Uriel Septim’s assassination, I would not leave Martin’s side. Castle Kvatch still needed to be retaken and I promised Savlian that I would help. It would seem that Martin would be coming with us.