The Paladin Crusade

The Paladin Crusade follows the adventures of Jovani Hammerlund, a character in the videogame Oblivion. Jovani is a self proclaimed Paladin, a holy warrior, in service of the god Arkay. His mission is to bring light where there is darkness in hopes of extinguishing the undead minions that now roam free in Tamriel. His adventures begin here.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Entry 2: Last Seed 27, 3E433

Arkay has found favor with me for by the grace of the gods I am free. I am writing this journal entry now at Wawnet Inn, just outside of the Imperial City. It is now about 1:30 in the afternoon and I am enjoying some Surille Brothers Vintage 415 wine, cheese, and mutton. My hands are still trembling after the long night. As I reflect now on what transpired, I ordered my second bottle of wine.

The night was like any other. I was alone in my small cell with nothing but my thoughts and the scattered bones in the corner. That silence was broken when the Dunmer across from my cell began ranting once again. Valen Dreth, who has become a madman from serving so much time behind these dungeon walls, would likely die in his cell from the slow decay of time.

When the Dunmer was finally done, I heard the sounds of several footsteps descending the stairs nearby. It was hard to see who stood behind the Imperial guard, but I counted three others. Two others were wearing the same decorative armor that only a select few were honored to have. I knew them as the Blades. And behind them stood a elderly man wearing decorative robes, whose face I recognized as the ruler of Tamriel.

The guards ordered me to stand away from the cell door and I obliged them. The guards entered my cell and parted, making way for Emperor Uriel Septim himself! I kneeled before him, showing him the respect that he deserved. Emperor Septim looked upon me with recognition in his face and then he began speaking to me. As I rose, he went on to explain how his sons were assassinated that very night and how he has narrowly escaped an assassination attempt himself. Now his personal bodyguards, the Blades, were leading him out of the Imperial City.

It would seem that the Nine Divines have smiled on me for the escape route led through my cell. After a secret passage opened in my cell, I followed the Emperor and his entourage of bodyguards. As we proceeded through the subterranean structure of the Imperial Prison, assassins ambushed us. Captain Renault was the first to fall and I immediately took up her Akaviri katana to assist in the battle. As the remaining Blades killed the assassins, I took it upon myself to protect the Emperor. I knew then that I was destined to be involved in the events that were transpiring.

In all of the confusion, I became separated from the Emperor and his blades. I continued on my own through the substructure, where I faced common rats, goblins, and even a filthy zombie. Evil still lurked in the shadows and I suddenly found myself taking up the role that I had once served. My skills were not as strong as they had once been, but time would change that.

Finally, I found the exit from the substructure and I managed to rejoin Emperor Uriel Septim and his Blades. After we fended off several more attackers, we found ourselves cornered in a dead end room. Baurus and Glenroy went out into the adjoining room to fend off yet more assassins, while I protected the Emperor. The Emperor quickly explained that events were now in motion that could not be stopped. He seemed to know that the time of this death was near.

He took off a shining red amulet from his neck and gave it to me. He ordered me to take the Amulet of Kings, a magic jewel that only those born of the Septim bloodline may wear, to the distant Weynon Priory where I would find the Grandmaster of the Blades, a man known as Jauffre. Before I could vow my allegiance to the Emperor, an assassin sprang forth from the shadows and killed him right before me. I felt the anger swell within me once more and I called upon my adrenaline rush. With but a single blow of the katana, I killed the assassin. Shaking, I kneeled before the Emperor’s body and swore an oath to do as he commanded me.

Baurus retuned, blood gleaming on his sword. Tears trickled from his eyes as he looked down upon the man whom he swore to protect. I retrieved Glenroy’s Akaviri katana and returned it, along with Captain Renault’s sword, to Barus. After speaking with Baurus about the Emperor’s last words, I proceeded through the sewers out into the free air.

I covered my eyes as the sun shined down upon the lake before me. I kneeled and kissed the ground, thanking Arkay for allowing me to continue in his service. Before setting out for Weynon Priory, I retuned to the Imperial City to sell off some equipment that I had earlier found. After acquiring a few spells and a select few other purchases, I left the Imperial City a few hundred gold Septims richer. After traveling across the long bridge connecting the Imperial City Island with the mainland of Cyrodiil, I stopped at an Inn for food and rest.

So now here I am, a holy man on a mission. I must succeed, for the only other option is death.